Sunday, September 28, 2008

Heyyy-yoooooo

Currently reading: George Orwell's 'Animal Farm'. I found a box of books in the basement, and found treasures like 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.' All books that fit nicely into my current phase : re-reading classics they assigned us way too early in high school or middle school to be fully appreciated. Who can understand "Gatsby" as a 9th grader? I could smack my former self for rushing through those books and focusing on the vocabulary terms we had for homework. I can't hate on Collingswood schools too much, though. I think it's rare to find those "Dead Poets' Society"-esque teachers that have us jumping on our desks and holding secret meetings for literature. We just had to pass the vocab or 'useful terms' tests.

As I type this, Reese is staring at me with those bug-eyes of his, and it's giving me the willies.

Current hoping : that I will fight off this nasty cold I've had for three days in time to return to yoga tomorrow night. Monday night is the traditional Ashtanga series that I started taking about a month ago, and I am fully obsessed with it! I've had the opportunity to try so many different types of yoga this summer, and I feel like my move to L.A. will only make this better. I was all packed to go to Friday's night's Anusara class, but I was scolded by my parents for potentially exposing my teachers/classmates to my germs. Then I researched "yoga while sick", and found this:

"When we are coming down with a cold or are in the full brunt force of being sick, our body’s immune system is put into overdrive producing antibodies to combat the viruses that cause the cold symptoms. These antibodies are made partially of proteins and amino acid components. The production of these complex proteins requires energy. The more sick one is, the more energy is required to fuel the immune system.
Now consider what happens when we exercise or do Yoga while your immune system is fighting the onset of a cold. The energy highly needed for your immune system is instead being transferred to the muscles to create movement. This energy is depleted from the body either as mechanical energy (movement) or as heat. This transfer of energy strips the immune system of precious energy resources and begins to limit the immune system’s capacity to produce antibodies." (yoga.blogscene.com)

Oops. I've still been 'bad' and going for jogs, though. And I worked last night at the restaurant. I'm not so good at the 'relax and pamper yourself' thing. Maybe that's why my colds tend to last for weeks.

Finally,
CONGRATS TO THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES! 2008 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!

And,
GO EAGLES!! BEAT THE BEARS!!

No comments: