Sunday, October 5, 2008

A smile.

I've put aside 'Memory Keeper's Daughter', and I'm currently re-reading Gatsby for the first time since high school. Much better the second time through, with some years of city-life and mild heartbreak under my belt. We're not the jazz age, but gin never stopped being the national drink nor sex the national obsession. Reading a book like Gatsby makes it truly evident that people in general really do not change, and our troubles are never unique, no matter how hard we wish them to be.

Psssshhht. How beautiful is this introduction?

'He smiled understandingly- much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced- or seemed to face- the whole external world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it has precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey."

In other news, November 5th it is. Hopefully that day will be joyous for me on two fronts- I'm moving to a new life and a new career, and I'll have the knowledge that Barack Obama will be our next president. I'll grin from ear to ear with this knowledge; my giddiness will override the discomfort and frusteration that always accompany traveling.

For Paul T- my Houli schedule next week.

Monday-lunch.
Tuesday-lunch
Wednesday- in at 4. You should come for happy hour :)
Thursday- lunch.
Friday- tenative dinner.
Saturday- dinner at 430.

It's almost over. It's almost over. It's almost over...

No comments: